Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Comments about the book, Requests for content to be covered in the 2nd Edition? Post them here!

Re: Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Postby morpheus » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Say no more - I understand where this is coming from. Another complaint of sorts I had is that the book draws on too much source code, especially in the kernel part of it. I aim to make the 2nd edition as code free as possible, replacing code snippets with flow charts and other diagrams, as well as comparisons to other OSes.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Emmanuel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 am

I know that a lot of people struggle with how [vmmap] works and I've been doing to research with this.
I think that perhaps a couple of pages on the subject would be welcome. Reading stackoverflow or other forums, people have problems trying to figure out how vmmap can get the information that it needs.
Turns out that vmmap is quite interesting in the sense that itself, it does absolutely nothing :) everything is done in the Symbolication private framework. Obviously, that framework with does some mach_vm_region_recurse() but it also scans the memory to get some more info.

I'm currently dumping the dylib cache (contained inside a submap of the task), which is an interesting exercise but I haven't been able to make the address mapping work yet :)
Emmanuel

Postby jerneheim » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi, a run down of the FileVault2 pre-boot environment, more on the boot process with CoreStorage and encrypted volumes would be nice.

--Patrik
jerneheim

Postby duhanebel » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 am

I'd love to see more about code signing, especially for iOS. How both the actual signing and the runtime checks are implemented. How Apple leverages its PKI: dev certificates, provisioning profiles, entitlements, etc.

--Fabio
duhanebel

Postby posixninja » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Hey love the book so far. I can't find you on IRC anymore, do you have an email I can use to contact you?
posixninja

Postby posixninja » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:56 pm

although I would still enjoy it if it was just the source code bound between covers with annotation ;-P
posixninja

Postby jara » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 am

My "wishlist" is rather long, but dream about "The Ultimate" book is so beautiful...
My list mostly related to iOS. Part of it I wish to know, part of it I already know, but I were happy to read it, when I read first edition.

1. Debuggers and debugging:
Gdb and lldb
lldb custom command
Break point on memory access and change
Obj-c objects memory representation
Obj-c message passing and call stack in depth
Debugging without source, https://github.com/karstenBriksoft/SymTabCreator
2. Hooking:
Mobile substrate
Hooking nuances (stubs, dynamic function pointer search, thumb, possible problems, for example small functions)
Hooking fast calling functions
Hooking and process restrictions
Hooking objc_msgSend
Hooking mach_msg
Hooking iokit (understanding opaque io_entry_t, matching it to plane, service, path)
3. System data sources:
MobileGestalt
IOKit
sysctl
lockdown
mach_msg
Which is primary data source, and which is just proxy for others
4. Traffic:
Apple communication protocols
Apple Push
Apple itunes/appstore
Siri
5. Apple data storage formats
SQLite
Plists
Itunes storage formats: https://metacpan.org/pod/release/BILLH/ ... nes/Sid.pm, ddrms
6. Private Frameworks and examples of usage:
TTS
Wifi
7. Daemons
Breaf description on all present by default daemons
Details on most important
8. Communication methods
XPC
Mach
launch_msg
What rely on what, how commuticate different daemons
9. Keys, sertificates
keychain
kegbag
developer certificates
hardware sertificates
apple sertificate
Where stored each of them, what it used for
Details on signing and signed data and keys exchange in apple protocols
10. Encryption
Encription algorithms used in default components
11. Other:
Url schemes itms:// and other
Apple drm
cycript and native functions, runloops
jara

Postby AriX » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:49 am

Would be awesome to include content about remote views, iOS 8 extensions, and Apple Watch stuff. Would also be great to learn more about entitlements and sandbox profiles/the sandbox policy language.
AriX

Postby Rohinton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:56 pm

I know it's late, but DTRACE? and llvm...
Rohinton

Postby morpheus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:23 am

So, the good news is - it's not too late. But LLVM is out of scope for the book, because it's a compiler technology. I will, however, be covering SWIFT in depth. As for Dtrace, you're totally right. I covered it all too briefly, and didn't touch on the implementation at all! I'll add that in, but it will likely be in Part II (dealing with the kernel). Thanks ! As for the watch - it will be covered - I'm adding a new chapter on hardware. And entitlements, rest assured, will be detailed as never before, as will code signing (which I will be showing at my RSA 2015 talk).
morpheus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to *OS Internals - 2nd Edition