Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Comments about the book, Requests for content to be covered in the 2nd Edition? Post them here!

Re: Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Postby tweakbsd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:36 am

Hello Jonathan,

I really love your book, it definetly was my intro into OS X security research, as well as @osxreverser (fg!) blogs.
One of the most interesting stuff for me would be internals of the closed-source 'taskgated' chain.
Beginning with the XNU kernels task_for_pid() mach-trap, the TASK_ACCESS_PORT special port,
check_task_access() upcall to taskgated and all involved TrustedBSD hooks via mac_proc_check_get_task().

Another interesting topic is the entitlement system used by sandboxed processes and how they are enforced by taskgated. Last but not least some details / internals of how provisioning profiles enable entitlement usage.
tweakbsd

Postby MaxBrein » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:03 am

Feature request- Apple Push notifications in depth. There are lot of services that communicate with each other for pushes and there are XPC and mach involved.
MaxBrein

Postby morpheus » Fri May 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Max: I'll discuss apsd either in the "over the air" chapter, or in an as yet undetermined chapter that will cover all of iOS/OS X's daemons.

TweakBSD: taskgated will be covered in depth, as well as entitlements. Thanks for feedback. There's a dedicated security chapter now. You might want to check out the article I wrote about mobile obliterator a while back, too.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby griganskiy » Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Would be great to add updated "Programming Kernel Extensions" chapter.
griganskiy

Postby morpheus » Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm

That, friend Griganskiy, is part of Volume II of the 2nd Edition -- The first Volume (whose TOC is largely finalized by now at http://NewOSXBook.com/TOC2.html) is user mode. But Volume II - whose TOC I will soon publish - will have more stuff for kernel, including:

- Vouchers, Banks, and ATMs (and no, that's not finances, that's the new Mach APIs)
- KAuth (at last)
- VFS in more depth, including a sample null filesystem
- Much more about kexts, including internal structure, and reversing tricks.
- updates in HFS+ (not that many, but still)
- more on PMAP management (physical memory)
- scheduler modifications in 10.9 +
- QoS and the new pthread implementation
- MUCH more on I/O Kit, including actually writing an I/O Kit driver (i.e. bringing my book closer to the Halvorsen perspective of OSX/iOS Kernel programming, which deals with writing drivers)

Yeah, I think I should publish that ToC2-2 already :-)

Keep those requests coming,

J
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby jol » Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Having a chapter on the window system/WindowServer would be great.
jol

Postby caesar01 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:06 pm

+1 for windowServer !...
jol wrote:Having a chapter on the window system/WindowServer would be great.
caesar01

Postby halprin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:09 pm

I come from the "Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach" ilk, and I am excited for this second edition. After a decade of having the aforementioned book, it's time to update. You can count me in as one who will gladly get this book (and volume II) once it comes out!

I have two requests or suggestions.

1. When showing examples that use command line tools to get information, use the simplest tool to easily get the information. For example with Mach-O files, if the information can be easily obtained using otool, use otool. If the information is more complex and would be more easily obtained using jtool, then use jtool.

2. Make the second edition available in hardcover. I love that "Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach" is a hardcover because it could take a beating from me spending many days and nights pouring over it. It also gives the book an air of professionalism that I personally like.

Thanks!
halprin

Postby morpheus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Suggestions noted; I'll probably using more of my custom tools (which incidentally are designed to overlap in functionality/output with Apple's own in simple cases). Q.v answer to your other question in the Q/A

As for hardcover, that's an idea - it depends on the self-printing arrangement. It will surely make it costlier, but I promise to make both volumes worth every cent. This time, I have full control of the process, won't get cut off by my publisher on page count, or censored because of iOS betas, and have better style editing that will actually catch typos instead of introducing them :)
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Why don't you consider splitting into two volumes? OSX and iOS internals.

PreviousNext

Return to *OS Internals - 2nd Edition