OSX 12.3 hang

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

OSX 12.3 hang

Postby kvmanoj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi,

We work on a kernel extension authorized by Apple and for a specific case the OS X 12.3 (Sierra) hangs and doesn't respond and the code is quite massive to narrow it down.
We tried to take a dump but couldn't get any clue on how to look into the root cause from the dump.

We looked into cpu usage, process threads and other info.

Is there any tool to check memory corruption for kernel extension on OS X ?
Any other inputs are greatly help and appreciated.

Thanks,
Manoj
kvmanoj

Re: OSX 12.3 hang

Postby morpheus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 am

So I'm biased here, but the only tool I know of is my own - I call it Xnoop, and it directly inspects kernel memory - on MacOS via a kext helper (or /dev/kmem) and on iOS via task for pid. This is not public however, and Tg uses it internally when we perform such inspections during consulting on bugs such as yours.

If I may suggest, set up the NMI debugger trap, as well as KDP, and when you get the hang, KDP will kick in and dump the kernel memory to a remote IP, wherein you can collect and analyze it.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby kvmanoj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

We have currently setup NMI trap and got the core dump created in remote machine and also have KEXT with "Dwarf with DSym" also enabled.
I have used lldb macros like showallstacks, showtaskthreads, showschedusage etc but what might be the reason for a hang, I am not sure theoretically as well.

Do you think memory corruption might cause the hang as well ?

Can you provide any inputs on what data to look into incase of hang ?

In our case, the machine doesn't freeze immediately.
One of the application (in our case Terminal) doesn't respond as we just run a shell script which has "ls; date; sleep"). We get the spinning beachball.
After that within 5-10 min, the new process spawning doesn't happen and then it freezes completely.

How to we get the Xnoop tool from you ? Do you provide some consultation ?

Thanks,
Manoj
kvmanoj

Postby morpheus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

Hello Manoj,

If you still have a terminal, it's not a complete hang. Try "procexp 0 threads" - that gets kernel threads as well. From there, it's easy to see what's hogging the CPU and where threads are.

Consultation, sure, but that's not me - that's via @Technologeeks.

J
morpheus
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Answers