a little confusion about Data Protection in '*OS Internals'

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

a little confusion about Data Protection in '*OS Internals'

Postby coreAV » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi, I'm reading your nice book recently , very useful and professional for *OS researchers.
I have a question ,maybe a stupid question about the Data Protection in the page 212.

"If the fingerprint is correctly authenticated, the token is sent to the SEP keystore ,and the keys are repopulated",
so ,it means ,when touchID authenticated correctly ,the class A,B keys will be regenerated?
But the white paper says ,when the touchID is turned on ,the class key wont be discarded, just wrapped by some other key when lock device.
so I guess 'repopulate ' equal 'unwrap' ? and the token is the 'other key' above ? I am not sure ,I would be grateful if I can obtain your confirm.
Thx.
Btw, its a good for my english when I read your book ,too many advanced words. My friend told me you master 7 languages [Thumb up]
coreAV

Re: a little confusion about Data Protection in '*OS Interna

Postby morpheus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Correction sustained. The keys don't actually get "discarded" - but it's the same effect, since they are encrypted by another key ("wrapped") so it's largely the same effect, as without the key unwrapping the class key is effectively unusable.

P.S - 7?!?! That's an exaggerating. 4 + a bit of Chinese. :oops:
morpheus
Site Admin

Re: a little confusion about Data Protection in '*OS Interna

Postby coreAV » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 am

morpheus wrote:Correction sustained. The keys don't actually get "discarded" - but it's the same effect, since they are encrypted by another key ("wrapped") so it's largely the same effect, as without the key unwrapping the class key is effectively unusable.

P.S - 7?!?! That's an exaggerating. 4 + a bit of Chinese. :oops:

oh ,4 language is enough good :shock:
thanks for your answer. I will continue to read your book.
coreAV

Return to Questions and Answers