What can we do to download the ipa for iOS 11 on mac?

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

What can we do to download the ipa for iOS 11 on mac?

Postby Wingzero » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 am

So iTunes 12.7 has removed iOS app store, and iOS 11 has no JB, which means we cannot do man in the middle to hijack the traffic, "thanks to" the SSL pinning. What can we do to download and install ipa on mac?
Wingzero

Re: What can we do to download the ipa for iOS 11 on mac?

Postby guido » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 am

Apple Configurator lets you download all the apps you have downloaded/purchased from the iTunes Store in the past.

if you add an existing app to a device, it will be downloaded again anyway. While a dialog is prompting you to confirm the replacement, you can find the downloaded ipa on:

Code: Select all
Library/Group\ Containers/K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator/Library/Caches/Assets/TemporaryItems/MobileApps/
guido

Postby morpheus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 am

Another option: side load through Xcode (The "Devices" dialog will list apps on the device and there's a little '+')
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby guido » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm

I think Wingzero asked for a way to download an ipa from the App Store directly to a Mac in order to unzip and analyze it.

As documented on configautomation.com, Apple Configurator brings with it a command line utility (cfgutil), many Automator actions and even a Scripting Library for accessing its features by using JavaScript. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to automate logging into the App Store, so you have to access the Add command from the GUI manually: from there you can choose a local ipa or browse the history of the downloads you made using the provided AppleID.
guido

Postby Wingzero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for answering! At least we now have a few options for already purchased apps; however we cannot download new app from Mac now... I don't know why APPL moved to this way.

I enjoyed iTunes a lot download apps and install right away from it when people are laughing at iTunes how bad the user experience is.. now I maybe join the crew
Wingzero

Return to Questions and Answers