Where is corerupt tool?

Used for discussing the various tools in the book as well as encouraging members to share tools

Where is corerupt tool?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Your book mentions the corerupt tool in Chapter 12, indicating it can offer many functions such as live debugging and process snapshots. I have not been able to find it on your site. Pls advise

Re: Where is corerupt tool?

Postby morpheus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am

The corerupt tool is a little sensitive, because its (slightly overly) powerful capabilities. So it's not yet publicly available.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby lightswitch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for the update. I wondered the same thing.
There is less in this than meets the eye
-Tallulah Bankhead
lightswitch

Postby josephc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 am

So let me get this straight. I bought a book with the promise of some tools that I figured I would download when I get home. In addition one of these tools is mentioned several times over in chapter 12 including stating that to follow the train of thought you need to use this tool in about 1/4th of the ideas of this chapter and then when I get home to download this tool with a few others to help me out with my project I get the you can't have it message? Its one thing to not distribute the tool if you don't discuss it in the book and its another to use it as the foundation for part of a chapter (as well as referenced in SEVERAL other chapters) in a book that is SOLD and not given away with the promise in the book stating that the tool is available.

Let me quote you from the book that absolutely infuriates me, found in chapter 12:

"...This book provides a companion tool, corerupt, which expands these abilities further in order to provide support for..."

So basically NO this book does NOT provide a companion tool nor does the author or it's site.

Unless you make good on your promise I am done purchasing any books from your publisher because that means the publisher can't be bothered to supply their customers with all of the materials that are suppose to come with the book. Now if it was only a few months after the release of the book I wouldn't complain but we are talking more then 6 months since another person asked that very same question.
josephc

Postby morpheus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Salutations Joseph,

For starters, let's point out that the book's website provides a ton more than the book promises. This includes constant updates of tools. This includes tools that were created after the book. This includes additional updated articles, and more.

For second, that the tool is not publicly available does not mean the tool is not available, period. All it takes is an email (info@) or a pm on this forum. Several people have, and they have been provided the tools, and much more in terms of free support. The tool in question - corerupt - is the only tool which isn't publicly provided, since it has sensitive components which can be used for malware injection, software reverse engineering, and a host of other things. Incidentally, prior to your post here - half a year later - nobody bothered to inquire in public. All the other tools are not only provided, but are (for the most part) open source. I say (for the most part) because some of them (procexp, jtool and hfsleuth) are tools whose commercial clones cost many $$$. I'm making them free, but I believe my efforts should remain thus. And I should point out that my predecessor's Singh's very useful HFSdebug was discontinued and removed - even though it's well explained and relied upon in the book.

For third, a nice "thank you for your efforts in providing this book, research and everything" would be appreciated, rather than assaulting. The world would be a nicer place if people were polite and asked first, rather than immediately vociferously complain.

As for banning the publisher, you'd be hurting other authors. Then again, at $2/copy an author makes, maybe not.

Peace and good Karma,

J
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby mbarx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:29 am

Hi there,

I am intending to try corerupt for finding how useful certain tools providing string hiding / encryption really are.
I understand this is a sensitive piece of software but would kindly request to try it for iOS. I probably found something similar (readmem).

Anybody willing to share this with me? If you like to discuss my intention and my non-existing cyber-criminal background, that's fine :-)

Regards, Mirko
mbarx

Postby mbarx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Hey,

I have compiled readmem - https://github.com/gdbinit/readmem - is that basically the same?

Mirko
mbarx

Postby morpheus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 pm

Corerupt is basically a scriptable debugger with injection capabilities. The core of it revolves around the Mach VM APIs, which I described in Chapter 11 and 12, and those make up essentially the only way one can get into a remote process (with ptrace being a pathetic broken mechanism that it is). Readmem/dumpdecrypted/etc all provide some of its functionality, as does gcore (from Singh's excellent book, though not updated to 64bit or ARM), and other tools. Only here it's all rolled into one. A sample (code injection on x86_64) which I posted some time ago covers that as well.

I'm in the process of revamping the tool for iOS 8. I'll make it public with the 2nd Ed - which I'm doing with no publisher this time around probably, and hence have a lot more freedom of expression.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby backendbilly » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Excellent book. Thanks for your hard work and making these tools available.
backendbilly
Site Admin

Postby EliDowler » Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Guest wrote:Your book mentions the corerupt tool in Chapter 12, indicating it can offer the Yoga Burn functions such as live debugging and process snapshots. I have not been able to find it on your site. Pls advise

Anyone know where I can download the latest version?
Last edited by EliDowler on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
EliDowler

Next

Return to Tools