Virtual Display on OS X

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

Virtual Display on OS X

Postby masovies » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Hey,

I purchased this book to learn how to write a driver for an emulated display, but did not find much help.

I have written one with IOFrameBuffer, but it is not hardware accelerated and am not sure where I am going wrong. Do you have any guidance/is there an easier way to trick OS X into thinking there is a display connected that you can drag windows to (GPU accelerated/60fps)?
masovies

Re: Virtual Display on OS X

Postby morpheus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 pm

First, the book was meant as a general internals book, not an immediate one-stop-shop for specific questions such as a virtual display, which is extremely driver-specific.

That said, I aim to cover the [Mobile]FrameBuffer architecture in more detail in the 2nd edition. That, too, won't be at a level of "here's a source code for a virtual display", though the more I think about it the more it strikes me as a good idea for a proof of concept. At least a screengrab from IOMobileFramebuffer on iOS, which is fairly straightforward. So thanks for the idea.

In terms of virtual displays on OS X, screen sharing provides a complete VNC solution to clone the display - if you just wanted to grab the display, you could piggy back on top of that. If you want a full virtual display, there's only so much that hardware acceleration could do here in the first place, especially when we are looking at > 2k resolution - the data is going to be very heavy in those cases. dragging windows is handled by GL/CL, which means the GPU needs to do the work. you could *try* messing with the resolution at the GPU level (if it supports a higher resolution) then projecting (mapping) only some of the window onto the "real" screen, thereby getting an unmapped FrameBuffer which you can then do whatever with.
morpheus
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Answers