Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Comments about the book, Requests for content to be covered in the 2nd Edition? Post them here!

Re: Any Requests for a 2nd Edition of the book?

Postby morpheus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 pm

The thought had originally crossed my mind, but I chose not to because the two systems are *so* similar that it would be duplicating the same content:

At the kernel level, not accounting for Kexts (which are naturally platform/hardware specific) the two systems are 90-95% identical - it's the same xnu, with a bunch of CONFIG_* conditional compiled code (which used to be leak for the longest while). AMFI/Sandbox are another two special kext differences, but the rest is largely the same.

At the user mode level, There are more differences. Conservatively, however, I'd say that the two systems are still 60% identical - Private and Public frameworks are different, and the filesystem structure (and obviously some subsystems which exist in iOS and don't in OS X).

The two volume split is thus for user/kernel mode - which enables me to discuss in both cases the common denominator, then split in relevant chapters or sections to the iOS/OS X idiosyncrasies.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby likeosx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 am

Is it still possible to talk about OTA update on iOS, and the update process on OS X in detail in the new book? Thanks
likeosx

Postby morpheus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Sure. Consider it done. Check out http://newosxbook.com/articles/OTA.html in the interim for the writeup I provided on OTA.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby danzatt » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:55 pm

While we're at it... would be nice to see how OTA update partition is created (and booted from i.e. nvram boot-command=upgrade, boot-partition etc.) (EDIT: I didn't notice it is already covered in iBoot chapter) as well as how the LwVM works (the kext publishes devices which appear as regular GPT but when edited from userland it traps the edits and updates LwVM partition scheme accordingly etc.).

And there is nothing about secure enclave and its role in chain of trust.
danzatt

Postby Nicolas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:48 pm

I second the request for information on how the OTA update works. The current document on the web only describes the file format, and not the process of actually applying the update. Does it all happen from a ramdisk? Is the ramdisk part of the existing firmware or downloaded as part of the update? What did Apple change in iOS9 to reduce the amount of free disk space needed for OTA updates?

Info about the process of applying a normal update/restore would be interesting too. Is the firmware transferred and then installed, or are the files written straight into the system partition as it comes via USB? Do iTunes updates use patches too, or only copy modified files, or is it basically a full restore that doesn't wipe the data partition?

How does Handoff work under the hood?

I assume the iCloud section will say something about file coordination?

As for the watch - it will be covered - I'm adding a new chapter on hardware.

What I'd like to know about is the Watch firmware and the communication between the iPhone and the Watch. Apparently there's something called sockpuppet used for the remote UI thing in third-party watchOS1 apps...

By the way, in the current preliminary TOC, Chapter 2 says "Other devices: Time Machine, Airport, AppleTV, the iPod Nano* and the Apple Watch". Time Machine is not a device, it's a backup application for OS X. Perhaps you meant Time Capsule? And what does the asterisk in iPod Nano mean?

(Note: I don't have the first edition; perhaps some of my requested material is already in the book)
Nicolas

Postby morpheus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 am

So yes, Nicolas, that's Time Capsule, of course. OTA will be covered, yes, as part of iBoot (which merits its own chapter by now, aside from EFI). Though I didn't think about Handoff (that's via iCloud - great idea, thanks). The Nano depends on whether I can dump its rom - I was amazed to find out it has a full diags utility which comes out when you short a serial pin on its lightning connector :-). You're right about SockPuppet, and that too is in the works - though I'm holding off because Watch OS 2.0 (iOS 9 for the watch, really) promises profound differences.

Update to the faithful readers: Realistically I'm looking at 1-2 months following when iOS 9 is released. I'm glad to say I've gotten full dumps of iOS Kernel and Filesystem now for 32 and 64 (thanks to people who deserve much of it, but shall remain anonymous by choice). So I'm hoping to leave no stone unturned. With no publisher, censorship or page restriction, this will be the most comprehensive resource on the subject.

Keep those questions/requests coming!
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Nicolas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Now some logistical questions. Your 2ndKickoff page says you estimate $65 for a print copy. Is that for both volumes or only for the first one? Will there be an e-book in ePub, or other flexible-page-layout (non-PDF) format?

PS: I volunteer as a proof-reader ;) I'm good at nitpicking and finding errors in everything I touch. Heck, a few weeks ago I bought a fiction book on iBooks, and promptly found a bug in iBooks (reported in detail) and a translation error in the novel (reported, got quick answer from editors).
Nicolas

Postby harsha » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

hi Jonathan,

When is the book releasing? Amazon page says July 7th, but shows as pre-order. Sorry about the forum to post this in.

Thanks
harsha
harsha

Postby morpheus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 pm

The forum is meant for this (although maybe not this particular topic :-) You may have missed the announcement:

http://newosxbook.com/2ndKickoff.html (also viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16568)

The Amazon book is what Wiley thought they will be publishing. They were wrong.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby vega01 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi,
I'd love to see some information about the Lightning protocol in the second edition.
Thank you!
vega01

PreviousNext

Return to *OS Internals - 2nd Edition