(old) Volume III State of the Union

Comments about the book, Requests for content to be covered in the 2nd Edition? Post them here!

Re: Volume III State of the Union

Postby backendbilly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 pm

I just realized I'm in the third place for number of posts ;). Don't worry, I'm in talks to attend your RE course and get my copy signed in person
backendbilly
Site Admin

Postby pvieito » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Ok, I think I have correctly requested the MOXII3 via Paypal. Can I have confirmation?
pvieito

Postby pthreads » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:33 am

If you are located in Massachusetts then I am happy to volunteer to help you with the orders. I already ordered mine via Amazon but I see that a lot of people are waiting patiently.
pthreads

Postby darkknight » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Administrator wrote:Shame; I would have liked to sign your copy since you're one of the forum's more active members.. Oh well :-|

Ahemmmmm I would like a signed copy :)
darkknight

Postby ChrisAC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 am

backendbilly wrote:J, I know you've been busy but lookout has already published -> https://info.lookout.com/rs/051-ESQ-475 ... etails.pdf

I remember reading that very document in August. Have they changed anything in it in the meantime?

Cheers,

ChrisAC
ChrisAC

Postby morpheus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:18 pm

They did add to it, @mbazaliy did a fantastic job. But from the perspective of MOXiI, what matters is that A) It's out in the open. B) I might be able to get a sample myself (still working on it). Which means I can cover it in the book.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby ChrisAC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Administrator wrote:They did add to it, @mbazaliy did a fantastic job. But from the perspective of MOXiI, what matters is that A) It's out in the open. B) I might be able to get a sample myself (still working on it). Which means I can cover it in the book.

Right now, I'm trying to compare the current version and the one from August. So far, I only found messed-up layout and missing sentences in the newer one (looked from the end of the document - maybe it looks better at the beginning).

I'll keep you posted on what I find. In case of doubt, I'll happily e-mail you the version from August.

You're absolutely right in any case that getting your fingers on an actual sample of the "software product" would be extremely interesting ... :)

Cheers,

ChrisAC
ChrisAC

Postby ChrisAC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Quoting myself ...

ChrisAC wrote:Right now, I'm trying to compare the current version and the one from August. So far, I only found messed-up layout and missing sentences in the newer one (looked from the end of the document - maybe it looks better at the beginning).

I'll keep you posted on what I find. In case of doubt, I'll happily e-mail you the version from August.

Ah, now I see: There are two different documents (with similar names) ...

lookout-pegasus-technical-analysis.pdf
pegasus-exploits-technical-details.pdf

(sorry for the confusion)

The second one is the new one. The first one is - in its original shape and form - from August 2016. (The version of that older document that you can find online right now has a messed-up layout. Like I said, if you like the original of that one with non-broken layout, do let me know and I'll send you one.)

Cheers,

ChrisAC
ChrisAC

Postby smdg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks to ChrisAC for pointing out the revised paper from Lookout - like a lot of people I'd missed its release.

The August paper from Lookout is very poor - there is a lot of hand-waving, a lack of useful technical detail and the paper is marred by many minor mistakes. At first sight the new paper looks a lot better but the final judgement requires verifying of their claims. I hope that Lookout do not continue to sit on top of the sample they received and make it available to other researchers for in-depth analysis.
smdg

Postby smdg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:01 pm

Just a request for clarification about ordering/paying for MOXII3 via Paypal…

When I try to transfer to Jonathan as a friend I have to provide an email or mobile phone number but all I have is this URL.

Can someone please spell out the exact process?

Edit: It's now on the main page. email : moxii3 at this site.
smdg

PreviousNext

Return to *OS Internals - 2nd Edition