img4tool - tool to decompress kernelcache in iOS10.x (win32)

Used for discussing the various tools in the book as well as encouraging members to share tools

img4tool - tool to decompress kernelcache in iOS10.x (win32)

Postby backendbilly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I've compiled img4tool as a Windows 32-bit binary. Img4tool is from https://github.com/xerub/img4tool, which is used to decompress kernelcache from iOS 10.x. The kernelcache container has changed in iOS 10.x which appears to use IM4P instead of the old img3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5LHH ... HN2ZjN1X3M

Billy
backendbilly
Site Admin

Re: img4tool - tool to decompress kernelcache in iOS10.x (wi

Postby Siguza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Correction:

The kernelcache container has not changed in 10.x.
32-bit devices still use Img3, and 64-bit devices still do and always have used IM4P.

What has changed, however is that
a) kernelcaches (and disk images, and 32-bit bootloaders) are no longer encrypted, and
b) the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus (iPhone9,[1234]) have moved from lzss compression to lzfse.
Siguza
Unicorn

Postby morpheus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:00 pm

You guys do know that joker can now handle compressed kernel caches too, right? It auto-separates the KPP portion and decompresses automatically.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby backendbilly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Siguza wrote:Correction:

The kernelcache container has not changed in 10.x.
32-bit devices still use Img3, and 64-bit devices still do and always have used IM4P.

What has changed, however is that
a) kernelcaches (and disk images, and 32-bit bootloaders) are no longer encrypted, and
b) the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus (iPhone9,[1234]) have moved from lzss compression to lzfse.

Thanks for the corrections Siguza. I hardly touch 32-bit devices ever since 64-bit came out as I require working on the latest and greatest

Administrator wrote:You guys do know that joker can now handle compressed kernel caches too, right? It auto-separates the KPP portion and decompresses automatically.

Good to know that joker has such capability now. I think we should have a way to list release notes for new updates to your tools J ;)

Billy
backendbilly
Site Admin

Postby Domo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Good to know that joker has such capability now. I think we should have a way to list release notes for new updates to your tools J

He does have an RSS feed, and joker was in the news:
http://www.newosxbook.com/index.php?page=news

What would be awesome is if someone maintained a github of J's source code AND a Cydia repo of all the utilities!
Domo

Return to Tools