What association does user Apple ID has with downloaded app?

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

What association does user Apple ID has with downloaded app?

Postby omnia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Following is my observation:
1. I download the iOS app using itune store and Apple ID say "abc@gml.com" on my Mac device. And successfully install and run that app on my iOS device whose itune/app store is configured with different Apple ID say "def@gml.com". Both IDs are active.
2. But in case my "abc@gml.com" which I used to download the app gets blocked by Apple. Then when I try to run that app on my iOS device, the app asks for the credentials which was used to download the app intially? And since it's blocked so I cannot run that downloaded app on my iOS device (def@gml.com).

My question is:
1. What relation does user Apple ID have with the downloaded apps?
2. Why if ID used to download that app is active then I can install the app on other device. But if it gets blocked then I can't install on other device?
3. How does OS verifies this association?
4. Is there any technique which I can try to bypass this limitation of installing the app on other device (in case of blocked ID)?

Any pointers?

Edited.
omnia

Re: What association does user Apple ID has with downloaded

Postby morpheus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Sorry this took me a while..

The association is based off of the Apple Store "Receipt", which is deployed in the App's directory as a plist. The plist captures the details of the sale or download, including the Apple ID. The OS verifies that association when you attempt to update the app, or during periodic checks made by the applestore daemon, as it polls the store using a list of your apps and their receipts. From this list, Apple knows whether or not to allow you to download an updated version (indicating a badge in App Store app, or downloading automatically). If the IDs match the currently logged on AppleID - it can be automatic. Else it will prompt for credentials before allowing you a free update.
morpheus
Site Admin

Re: What association does user Apple ID has with downloaded

Postby septium » Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 pm

What is the origin of this "receipt"?
Is it contained inside ipa?
Or derived on–*OS by itunesstored/MobileInstallation.framework during ipa installation?
Or transfered by Mac iTunes to *OS–device as a separate chunk alogngside ipa?
Or something else?
septium

Return to Questions and Answers