MOXiI 2 - State of the union - new

Important news

Re: MOXiI 2 - State of the union - new

Postby vdf » Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 am

backendbilly wrote:I'm I confused?

6.png

This one confused me as well. A thinko, methinks...

@morpheus, is the hardcover book available yet? And if so what is the price in BTC (ie. how do you account for exchange rate fluctuations)?
vdf

Postby morpheus » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

Now I'm confused as well since I've no idea what 6.png is.

Hardcover book isn't available because my book printer is awaiting on cover stock.. price in BTC is 0.12, unless BTC goes below $1,200 or above $2,000, in which case I'll reprice.

Updates to follow. I am waiting for said book printer; I'm also in Oz at the moment, so can only see to it the week of May 22nd (incidentally, when my next training session is!)
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby vdf » Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 am

Ack, I can never get this phpbb stuff to work properly...

I was referring to backendbillys comment on listing 24-1 in post #18 in this thread - it seems that the comments for initializing sizeread and valueread have been interchanged in the listing.
vdf

Postby Siguza » Mon May 08, 2017 5:38 pm

This is "6.png":

Siguza
Unicorn

Postby RandomDSdevel » Sat May 27, 2017 1:32 am

Soooooooo, er, a-hem: sorry for interrupting you while you're probably flitting all over the place doing training sessions and reverse-engineering work to beat a dead horse, but is Volume Ⅰ still on track to be finished and published by the end of this month (unlikely, since May's almost over) or early next? The reason I'm asking is because I've seen that your recent Twitter activity has continued its trend of being related to research either on stuff for the series or into improving your tooling, among other things, so I think I can safely assume that you're at least working on things. Also — this may not necessarily belong in this thread (or even in this sub-forum, but I thought I'd add it here while I was thinking about it anyway —, I can't seem to find the last place here on the forums where you discussed the plans you had for an electronic version of the series before you got hassled by that ungrateful, trolling torrent trawler (I was looking forward to an e-book version of *OS Internals before that mess went down, but I can't recall exactly what the historical context and content of that occurrence was, so I thought I might want to go back and read the related discussion(s,) but, apparently, this forum's search engine doesn't like me, LOL.) Also, on another note, I keep seeing the tooling you use being mentioned and linked to both on the main (non-forum) part of this site and here in the forums, as well as on your Twitter account, but you don't seem to have put an index page listing all of them up somewhere on the first thing I referenced. Have you thought about doing that? It might come in handy for other readers, too…
RandomDSdevel

Postby morpheus » Tue May 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Soooooo...

A) That flitting all over the place is what pays my salary. I don't make much money off of book sales, and certainly not from the plethora of free tools and materials I provide.
B) Yes, Volume I is on track, but for July as a harder limit. But that's actually not so much because of "A", but because I want to make sure I'll be up to date with iOS11/MacOS 13.
C) If you had any idea how much research is going into it, you'd appreciate that at least I'm trying so hard. What more, I keep people updated as much as I can.
D) No way in heck will there be a PDF in the foreseeable future.
E) This site needs revamping. I agree.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby RandomDSdevel » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 am

morpheus wrote:Soooooo...

A) That flitting all over the place is what pays my salary. …

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your travels were superfluous. I, too, can contest that living expenses do indeed exist as a necessary burden (though probably much more so for you than for me right now.)

morpheus wrote:…I don't make much money off of book sales, and certainly not from the plethora of free tools and materials I provide.

Again, you have my sincerest apologies here. I shouldn't have made your generous efforts out to be so little, even by lack of eloquence.

morpheus wrote:
B) Yes, Volume I is on track, but for July as a harder limit. …

Ah, good to know.

morpheus wrote:…But that's actually not so much because of "A", but because I want to make sure I'll be up to date with iOS11/MacOS 13.

I should probably say that I appreciate your tenacity in keeping up to date with new developments on this front, then.

morpheus wrote:
C) If you had any idea how much research is going into it, you'd appreciate that at least I'm trying so hard. …

You're right, and I again demur to your better judgement in shame (you can even bop me on the head if you want — metaphorically speaking, at least…)

morpheus wrote:…What more, I keep people updated as much as I can.

Guess I just wasn't looking in the right place, then. (Or this Padawan needs to learn some more patience. I swore it had been a couple months or more since I'd last checked, but, then again, I could be fooling myself with inadequate hippocampal facilities…)

morpheus wrote: D) No way in heck will there be a PDF in the foreseeable future.

I didn't ask for it to be made available in that format, specifically. Wrap it up in however much obfuscation (with respect to file format or otherwise — heck, you could even bundle it up into a proprietary viewing application if it pleased you) and/or encryption and/or whatever else you want to make it so it can't be converted to an easily torrented file format so long as I can peruse the book's latest version on my computer at my leisure (preferably without requiring an Internet connection at all times, since mine's been a bit flaky as of late due to circumstances beyond my immediate control, but you are, of course, free to do what you want on this front;) and I'll be fine. This work is worth the money you're asking for it (and, at least in some cases, probably then some.)

morpheus wrote: E) This site needs revamping. I agree.

Hey, at least it works!
RandomDSdevel

Postby RandomDSdevel » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Sacmunraga wrote:
Wrap it up in however much obfuscation (with respect to file format or otherwise — heck, you could even bundle it up into a proprietary viewing application if it pleased you) and/or encryption and/or whatever else you want to make it so it can't be converted to an easily torrented file format so long as I can peruse the book's latest version on my computer at my leisure

That still won't work, at least in the long run. It will only take a few hours or days to reverse the encryption, and effectively pirate the book. He can use Denuvo (Which has been cracked despite it's strength), but their rates are probably sky high anyways.

Well, there goes that idea, then. Darn, I thought I might have been on to something useful there, too…
RandomDSdevel

Postby Siguza » Wed May 31, 2017 11:56 pm

DRM has grown to kind of work for interactive software (takes insane amounts of time to crack (e.g. Just Cause 3) and you can't just film the screen or something), but for anything that's just media (even if wrapped in a viewer application), copying is trivial and automatable.

But even if it worked, any such measures would most likely by far exceed the effort, time and costs of printing.
Siguza
Unicorn

Postby RandomDSdevel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Siguza wrote:DRM has grown to kind of work for interactive software (takes insane amounts of time to crack (e.g. Just Cause 3) and you can't just film the screen or something), but for anything that's just media (even if wrapped in a viewer application), copying is trivial and automatable.

But even if it worked, any such measures would most likely by far exceed the effort, time and costs of printing.

Oh, those are all good points that I didn't consider (and probably should have, but I can sheepishly admit to not having dealt with this kind of stuff as a content creator before myself.)
RandomDSdevel

PreviousNext

Return to Fresh off the press