Completely remove Libertv jailbreak from Apple TV 4K

Issues relating to the upcoming LiberTV TvOS < 11.2 JB. NO MORON "wen eta" though - unless you want to be banned.
Forum rules
  • NO IDIOTIC QUESTIONS ABOUT "WEN ETA JB".
  • Read the FAQ before asking.
  • Otherwise, open discussion and/or requests welcome.

Completely remove Libertv jailbreak from Apple TV 4K

Postby RikyElD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:38 am

Hello guys.
I' ve an Apple TV 4K jailbroken on tvOS 11.0 with the last version of Liberty (Libertv 11.0.3). So the thing is that I wan' t to update to tvOS 12 beta, but first I have to remove the jailbreak.
First of all I modify the hosts file with winSCP in /etc for re-enabling OTA updates, and then via SSH I run the removeMe.sh script for "removing" Libertv jailbreak, and then I rebooted the Apple TV, but the problem is that the script runs very quickly, and I fell like it doesn't t remove every trace of Libertv. First of all it doesn't remove the /bin folder, that is in the root, with contains a lot of file named like SSH commands (bash, chmod, cp, etc..), and it doesn't t remove some file that are in /var/run and /var/root/library (files that I think are related to Libertv because of they recent date in winSCP). I also noticed that the removeMe.sh script in Libertv is the same that we can find in Liberios, so the removeMe.sh script is reliable ? Does the removeMe.sh script on Libertv really delete the jailbreak and all the Libertv files? cause I noticed it delete only the /jb folder, I' m afraid that can remain some file and then my Apple TV goes in boot loop after the update.
Will I be able to restore the Apple TV 4K from the settings and then update it without risking sending the Apple TV into bootloop caused by some remaining Libertv file?
Or is there another way to remove all Libertv files? is there anybody who could tell me please which files and folders I need to delete via winSCP to completely remove the jailbreak / Libertv files and being able to restore and update without the risk of sending my Apple TV to bootloop ?
Thanks
RikyElD

Re: Completely remove Libertv jailbreak from Apple TV 4K

Postby morpheus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 pm

LiberTV is not electra or any other JB which modifies system file. There is ZERO chance of a boot loop, even if you do not remove the files. Go ahead and update to 12.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby RikyElD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm

oh that' s great, thanks ! but I would like to clean the system as much as possible.
EDIT: And, in /tmp folder there are files added by Libertv ? In /var/run/ the lockdown folder is created/added by Libertv or it is by default ?
Last edited by RikyElD on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RikyElD

Postby morpheus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Moot question, since both /tmp and /var/run are purged between reboots. But anyway, the answer is no .
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby RikyElD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:57 pm

ok, thanks. I' ve a last question, after that I will not disturb you anymore, and I will procede to remove jb and restore/update.
For connect the Apple TV 4K to winSCP I follow a guide, and I' ve run this commands: cp /jb/usr/bin/scp /usr/bin
cp /jb/usr/local/bin/* /usr/local/bin
cp /jb/bin/* /bin
So, with the last commands I copied all the files that are in /jb/bin to /bin; now that I want to remove the jailbreak and delete jb files, I opened that folder (/bin) via winSCP to see what files I haven' t to delete (what files aren' t in /jb/bin, aren' t copied from /jb/bin) and there are only 2 files that aren' t added by the cp command. They are "df" and "ps" but I found that they are ssh commands, so if I want to clean files, I have to delete all files except "df" and "ps" ? Is possible that those 2 files were in /bin by default ?
RikyElD

Postby morpheus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:31 pm

The ONLY file put by LiberTV in /bin is scp.
I don't care what Electra removal instructions say -

DO NOT REMOVE FILES IN /BIN OR YOU WILL POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE.

AND AGAIN I will say it again, EMPHASIZED - to be perfectly clear -

THERE IS NOTHING TO REMOVE WITH LIBERIOS/LIBERTV. YOU'RE CONFUSING THIS JB WITH ELECTRA OR OTHER JBS WHICH MAY TRASH YOUR FILESYSTEM. THE WHOLE POINT OF LIBER* JBS IS - YOU CAN JUST UPDATE AS USUAL ONCE YOU REINSTATE /etc/hosts. AN UPDATE WILL FORMAT THE ROOT FILESYSTEM ANYWAY.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby RikyElD » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 am

but I haven' t talk about Electra removal intructions, I only say that following a tutorial time ago I' ve run the command cp /jb/bin/* /bin, so some bin files from the jailbreak folder were copied to the /bin default folder in the root by me.
So I only want to know if I can remove the files that by mistake I copied from /jb/bin to /bin because they are files that aren' t by default in that folder (/bin).
So I understand that Libertv is safe because creates only the /jb folder and that it can be safe to restore > upgrade the Apple TV from setting, and that I haven' t to touch any default folder and that normally I will have nothing to delete, but in my case is a little different because I' ve copied some files from /jb/bin to /bin. So I have to leave the files that I copied in /bin (from /jb/bin) or I have to delete them ? I only refer to this, I will not delete/mody/overwright anything, I will only delete the files that I copied by mistake, if necessary...
RikyElD

Postby morpheus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:45 am

Ok. I give up.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby RikyElD » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:36 pm

wow, what a really useful help :D :D I try again:
Ok that Libertv is safe and does not copy anything in the default folders, and then you can restore and update without worry, but in this case I copied files from the jailbreak folder (/jb/bin) to the /bin folder (a system/default folder), which changes things because I moved some files related to jailbreak in a system folder. Now I just want to know if I have to delete the jb files I copied in /bin before running the command removeMe.sh vis SSH and then finally restore and update, or I want to know if it is safe to leave the jb files in /bin (system folder), remove the jb, restore and upgrade.
It' s so difficult to answer the question directly ?
Is safe to restore/update the Apple TV leaving that jb bin files in the /bin system folder ?
RikyElD

Postby acura » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 am

RikyElD wrote:wow, what a really useful help :D :D I try again:
Ok that Libertv is safe and does not copy anything in the default folders, and then you can restore and update without worry, but in this case I copied files from the jailbreak folder (/jb/bin) to the /bin folder (a system/default folder), which changes things because I moved some files related to jailbreak in a system folder. Now I just want to know if I have to delete the jb files I copied in /bin before running the command removeMe.sh vis SSH and then finally restore and update, or I want to know if it is safe to leave the jb files in /bin (system folder), remove the jb, restore and upgrade.
It' s so difficult to answer the question directly ?
Is safe to restore/update the Apple TV leaving that jb bin files in the /bin system folder ?

What use is it to try to help you if you don’t read your responses?
THERE IS NOTHING TO REMOVE WITH LIBERIOS/LIBERTV. YOU'RE CONFUSING THIS JB WITH ELECTRA OR OTHER JBS WHICH MAY TRASH YOUR FILESYSTEM. THE WHOLE POINT OF LIBER* JBS IS - YOU CAN JUST UPDATE AS USUAL ONCE YOU REINSTATE /etc/hosts. AN UPDATE WILL FORMAT THE ROOT FILESYSTEM ANYWAY.
acura

Next

Return to LiberTV