Code signature v 20500 questions

Questions and Answers about all things *OS (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS)

Code signature v 20500 questions

Postby Orph » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:09 am

I was playing with an already signed binary, having version CodeDirectory version 20500.
I noticed there are 2 more special slots, up to -7. One of them (-7) was used and the corresponding blog contained some sort of ASN.1 representation of the entitlements.
Also, it has the new magic FADE7172.

My questions are:
- is my analysis from above correct?
- what is this blob used for?
- is it somehow mandatory for 20500? I resigned the binary on Mac, which produced a code signature with version 20400 and these blobs were missing, but I just want to know if I can fiddle with this code signature and just remove the blob.

Btw, I already bought VOL 3 but if all the details for this new blob are updated in the latest version of the book, I am considering buying it again.
Orph

Re: Code signature v 20500 questions

Postby morpheus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 am

Heya,

Yes, from what I know it's a different binary representation of the entitlements, hence the new magic, as well. I'd appreciate if you posted a link to a download of it, since I'm limited in my samples of v2.5. signatures.

Also, I am pushing one more update to Vol III - which will be v1.7 - I want to account for Darwin 19 updates, and just HAVE to account for the SockPuppet bug now that it's back with a vengeance in 12.4. But you won't have to buy it again* - I'll make that section free in the ChangeLog.

---
* - That's not to say I wouldn't mind if you did buy it again :-) AAPL Pay preferred, too
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Orph » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:51 am

It is not hard to get a sample, I just dumped a known AppStore app on iOS 12, and voyla... as long as there is no legal issue or smth, I can upload my sample somewhere and send the link to you; via email should be fine?

I am curious on what is the purpose of this new blob, I don't believe Apple introduced it just for fun. I could presume that either
a) is enforcing security in a new way
b) is preparing the road to make the old entitlement blob obsolete, as this is more compact

Btw, for the fun of it, I tried to find a way to resign, based on the isign tool, but could not find a free tool to convert from XML to ASN.1, and I feel is too much effort to consider writing my own.
Orph

Postby morpheus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I'l get my hands on one and see; I'm working on reintegrating --sign into jtool2, (and finally deprecating jtool1, since the only reason it's still around is self signing), so I'll be sure to add support for this new format, too.
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Orph » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:50 am

I finally managed to change the new DER blob with my new entitlements, also modified team-ID into Requirement list, but when I try to validate signature with codesign it just say Signature invalid. When I use codesign for signing, it generates a signature v 20400... is it possible that 20500 is reserved somehow for App Store only? I tried to validate an archive with XCode for a dummy test but signature is stil 20400; I only obtained 20500 when doing manual codesign with --option runtime, for a Mac app.
Besides the runtime check and hardening signature validation on Mac, what does this new format bring for iOS?
Orph

Postby morpheus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:12 pm

so, all the instances I could find are for App Store Apps. You're correct about both counts, -7 and the DER encoding, as is corroborated from the 10.14.x sources of the security framework. I still have yet to figure out what is the benefit of using DER alongside the standard plist/bplist, unless it's transitioning before the plist form goes away.

support for this format coming really soon - I just need more samples to test on..
morpheus
Site Admin

Postby Orph » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:16 am

Well it seems there is a way to optain samples, provided by codesign; it seems that signing with codesign with the flag --generate-pre-encrypt-hashes is enough to force the version 20500. Also, as a bonus, --generate-entitlement-der would generate the DER blob.

Could you explain the pre encrypt hashes? I can asume that they are used as a protection mechanism to cross-check the CodeDirectory (that may explain the existence of 2 blobs, which I could not figure out why before), but against what?
Orph

Return to Questions and Answers