22/11/2017 - MOXiI 1st Ed is officially Free
What is this?
My MacOS & iOS Internals (affectionately known as MOXiI) is out of print. AND I got an official letter from Wiley reverting the copyright to me
I am therefore officially announcing my choice to MAKE THE FIRST EDITION OF MOXiI (as a PDF) absolutely FREE
Get the book right here
- Why? Because its content is a tad dated (though still more up to date than Singh's legendary tome, which I also heartily recommend). And because it's already pirated to death, if you Google the book name and "filetype:pdf" you would get to some links. But - most importantly, because I finally can. I paid thousands of dollars to buy my rights back, now they're mine. I can legally do this.
- So downloading this is ok? Yep. All I ask is that you do it from the link above, so I can keep track of how many people get it. NOTE THAT I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY OF BOOKS. Too many #$#@$#@$s on Twitter ask for torrent links and free links of my 2nd edition. This is, incidentally, why I'm not publishing it in PDF (I did that with my other book, and look where that got me..). When you download a pirated link, you are denying the author income - and technical books aren't Harry Potter or NYTimes best-sellers, which sell in the 100,000s, so you could argue "you're not hurting anyone"...
- So do we even need to get that 2nd edition of yours now? The second edition work (available from the main page of NewOSXBook.com) is a complete rewrite - not even one sentence shared between the two works - and so there is an added value in seeing how back in 2012 I explained stuff - basically getting another viewpoint. The 2nd edition is far better, more detailed, less constrained, and uncensored.
- Will you be making the 2nd Edition free as well? Eh, NO. Let's not get carried away here. I put a heapload of work into the books. Sometimes a single paragraph is the product of weeks of research. Now, I don't know what you do for a living, but I assume as you trade away your valuable time on this Earth and toil, you expect to be paid, right? Well, this is what *I* do for a living. I think my work is valuable. I'm not saying you should buy it, but I am saying it has a price if you want it. But what I can make free, including all the extra articles & downloads, I have consistently done and will continue doing so.
- What can I do to support this? If you like my books, spread the good word about them - because I have zero marketing for them and they're not sold in stores. Consider buying my 2nd edition on Amazon by following the links from the site (so AMZN pays me back some of their hefty fees). Better yet, buy on this site via BTC. Assuming you can spare 0.075BTC at today's exorbitant rate, I can guarantee you the trilogy, including Volume II when it's out, even if BTC plummets. Also, (disclaimer: advertisement) consider attending my training with TechnoloGeeks.